Wednesday 10 August 2011

New Job: Fortune Teller

Did I call it? Or did I call it. 


In the last two weeks, the circus has popped up in random places.  It is now trendy.  What did I say?

The top left is from Sainsbury's Magazine.  This is the magazine from my grocery store.  The movie Water for Elephants, is listed as style inspiration for champagne saucers. 

The top right is a TV listing.  Last night, BBC4 ran two circus documentaries.  They were focused on British circus history and surprisingly actually interviewed retired circus performers, owners, etc., despite the write-up describing it as 'wistful academics wax lyrical on the thrills, spills and enduring allure of the big top.'  I have to admit, I was a little annoyed.  I am a wistful circus academic!!!  Oh well.  I missed that boat. 

And finally, we have Marie Clare with thier trend report.  Circus, circus everywhere.  Apparently the makers of the Twilight movie series have bought the movie rights to a new circus themed debut-novel that hasn't yet hit the shelves.  Great! 


As I write this, Kelly Miller Circus is beginning to stir and preparing to move on to another town.  Trendy or not, they have a show to put on and a life to lead.  In fact, they are the opposite of trendy.  They are timeless classics, enduring economic downturns and rising interest rates and whatever else the world can throw at them.  They are Chanel. 

There I said it, Circus Chanel.  You heard it here first.


*Editor's note: this afternoon I was flipping through VOGUE and there was the circus, and then, 10-ish pages later, there was Chanel.  So, there you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment