Tuesday 1 February 2011

Pacey


It’s Tuesday Fit-Day.  A weekly meditation on fitness goals, successes and failures.  Thinking about it once a week is a step toward making it a part of everyday.


First things first.  I ran 3Ks yesterday.  WITHOUT STOPPING!!!  I wanted to puke. 
This is a big step toward my fitness goal.  A very small step, but big as well.  I have to be able to do it again, and that is the hard part.  My fitness goal is to be able to run 5k in under 40 minutes.  ( I did the 3K in 24 minutes).  This is part of a plan to make exercise easy to slot into daily life.  I have no desire to be a ‘runner,’ but, if I know I can get my whole workout (cardio & conditioning, including travelling to and from house) done in an hour, I am more likely to keep it up. 
But here’s another step.  I’m not going to try again until Friday.  Sounds a bit crazy, right?  But I am working on three workouts a week and Wednesday I have an hour and a half yoga class.  This is an important realization for me.  I tend to try and do it all at once and then inevitably fail and give it up as too hard.  This time I am taking it one week at a time. 
This is something I have learned from Weight Watchers.  (It’s not just about losing weight for me.)  I have been quite successful with the weight loss by just taking it one week at a time, one challenge a week.  I am applying the same mind frame to other areas of life.  It feels good and hopefully will continue to produce results. 

In running and personal development,
It’s all about pace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment