Wednesday 1 December 2010

Last Days of Thanks (for the month, not forever)


2-1:  My other half
I am devoting two days of thanks to my husband.  It may be an easy out on these last days, but in fact he has peppered the posts throughout the month, so it shouldn’t be a surprise.  The 30 days of thanks were suppose to be about gratitude overall, but also about thinking about gratitude each day and what was important on that day.  While I am always grateful for my health, opportunity, family and comfort, I am daily thankful for my husband.  Despite all my daily whining about no job prospects, frustration at my Olympic medal feats of procrastination, it is all better and bearable because of my other half. 
And he really is my other half.  We have been together a little over five years now and in that time we have become almost one person in two bodies.  Sometimes it is a bit worrying that maybe we are losing our individuality, but at other times it is very comforting to be so in-tune with someone else. 
SO many ‘life list’ items would not have happened without my Pete.  I wouldn’t have lived abroad, I wouldn’t have travelled as frequently as we do, I wouldn’t have finished the PhD and, while it wasn’t every really on the life list, I may not have gotten married to the most wonderful man in the world. 
I have always believed in some sort of overall magic in the world that gently directs happenings here and there, and Pete and I just confirm that belief for me.  If Magen and I didn’t pull all-night paleo study sessions we wouldn’t have decided to go to Africa some day.  If my Master’s degree hadn’t been such a horrible experience that I needed to escape we may not have gone to Africa in the summer of 2005 and I would never have met Pete in that campground in Zimbabwe.  My life was at a bit of a low-point when we left on that trip (I know it doesn’t sound like it, I was getting a Master’s degree and travelling to Africa, but I was in a low place mentally) and I don’t like to think about what my life would have been like if I didn’t go and hadn’t met Pete.  In fact, until just now I don’t think I have considered looking back. 
Of all my life decisions, moving to London to be with Pete was the scariest, but was also the one of which I was most sure. 
At the end of the month of Thanks and everyday before and after, I am thankful for my Pete. 
(Today I am also thankful for snow.  I don’t get it here in London the way I am used to after years of living in the snow belt, but these last two days have dumped loads.  I know London and the UK hate it, but I love it.  I’m hoping it stays for the weekend so we can go sledding in Greenwich Park and maybe make another snowman.  Pete made his first our last winter in Watford.)

No comments:

Post a Comment