Wednesday 5 January 2011

New Year, Same Old Yarn

With the new year always comes the resolutions.  Last year I think I copped out and resolved to finish the thesis (completely finish with certificate in hand) and get married.  Both endeavours were well underway at that point.  I also resolved to ‘get fit’ as always.  Amazingly I did get reasonably fit, but it all disappeared by the end of the year. 
So it’s another year started and the ‘get fit’ resolution is being dragged out again.  This year I am going to add some others that aren’t as well formed.  I have resolved to identify, and start on the path of, a career that I will be happy to pursue.  It may be in academia, but I have a feeling that it won’t.  Obviously a job would also be great and hopefully sometime in the next 12 months I will be gainfully employed in some way, but I’m not opposed to volunteering if it feels right.
In a similar direction, I have resolved to pick up a hobby and get a life.  I need to get out of the house.  It’s as simple as that.  So I need to get a life that doesn’t resolve around the daytime TV schedule and household chores.  This may be one of the hardest resolutions I have made, but a year is a long time and a lot can happen.  Who knows where I’ll be when this time comes around again.  Probably still writing on the couch, but hopefully it’s a rarity at that point instead of the regularity it is now. 
Same old, same old.  But now they are in print: Identify career goal (or at least get a job I can live with).  Get a hobby.  Get a life.
Get on with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment